Replacement or Air Conditioner Repair in Vancouver
Despite the reputation that the Pacific Northwest has as a cold, wet place, if you live here, you know about how hot the summers get. Just like in other regions of the country, having a working air conditioner is critical for getting through the warm season. Over time, even the best of these can wear down and develop issues. When this happens, do you need to repair or replace the entire unit? The experts here at Advantage Heating and Cooling are knowledgeable to help you know the difference.
Conditions that can be repaired
You’d be surprised at what your air conditioner can withstand. There are many conditions that are easy for a qualified technician to repair. Below are a few of them.
The refrigerant in your air conditioner is responsible for lowering the temperature. Every manufacturer has a standard to which they require that you fill their system. If you put in too much air conditioner refrigerant, or if it leaks out, then the air conditioner doesn’t work correctly. A leak could be a rupture in a line or from some other cause, but it’s usually something that you can get repaired.
The temperature sensors in your air conditioner unit are critical to its ideal operation. If the sensor gets faulty readings, it then makes the air conditioner work harder when it doesn’t have to. Replacing a sensor is a relatively simple operation. After that, your air conditioner knows the correct temperature and gives you more accurate functionality.
Wires and control systems can succumb to moisture or corrosion over time. This interferes with normal operation. It can cause erratic activation, or even prevent the unit from working at all. In many cases, the repair can be as simple as cleaning off the terminal ends or replacing some wires. That said, since the work is electrical, it’s best to leave it to a qualified professional.
If you go too long without cleaning up the filters in your air conditioner, then particulates back it up. This cuts down on the airflow, which in turn keeps the air conditioner from cooling down as it needs. Luckily, cleaning out your filters is something that’s fast and easy to do. Every few weeks, just remove the filter from the main unit and then clear it from any fuzzy lint or other obstructions.
What about replacement?
Sometimes repairs are not the answer. How do you know when it’s time to get a brand new air conditioner? A professional can tell you for sure, but there are some strong signs:
- Age: A good rule of thumb for an air conditioner’s operational lifespan is about 15 years. If the AC unit is near the end of its service life, you might consider getting a new one, as opposed to taking on the cost of a repair.
- Frequent Breakage: Along the same line, if your air conditioner keeps breaking down, it’s probably not worth fixing. Wouldn’t you rather buy a new one and be able to go for several years without having to get it repaired?
- Energy Efficiency: Every year it seems that electrical devices get more and more energy efficient. If it’s been a long time since you got the air conditioner, check to see how much it costs you in electricity, versus what a new one would use. In some cases, it’s possible that a new air conditioner could even pay for itself.
- Functionality: Perhaps you’ve got an air conditioner that doesn’t quite cool the whole house. In that case, you need a more powerful model.
- Outdated Refrigerant: The coolant known as R22 Freon served its purpose many years ago, but there is a more efficient version available now. The government is even phasing out production of this chemical. Why not do the eco-friendly and energy-efficient thing and upgrade to a newer model that runs on R410A?
If you opt for a brand new air conditioner, you have a few options. Your home might already be set up for HVAC. In that case, have a new one put in by a professional. Perhaps you’ve been using portable air conditioners or a window-mounted one. These are fine, but you can do better. Upgrading to HVAC gives you more control over your entire home, as well as greater power and efficiency. If you ever choose to put your home on the market, it’s also a nice selling point.
The best air conditioner repair contractor in Vancouver, WA
With all the jobs that you might need to be done on your air conditioner, to whom should you turn? Call in the pros at Advantage Heating and Cooling. We’ve been in the business for over 35 years. In that time we’ve built up a reputation for competence and integrity. We have hundreds or thousands of satisfied customers who are happy to give us repeat business and to refer us to their loved ones.
If you need air conditioner repair in Vancouver, WA, all you need to do is pick up the phone and give us a call. Or you can fill out the contact form on this site. We’ll sit down with you for a free consultation to determine what you need. Whether you need to repair your current or install a replacement air conditioner, we can do what you need. When we set an appointment our technicians show up on time and ready to work. We treat your living space with respect, leaving the house looking as good or better than it did before we arrived.
We hire only the best technicians and maintain a team of NATE-certified workers. Because of this, we can stand by our labor proudly. Couple that with the fact that we recommend using the best brands, and you get air conditioner repairs that hold up to the test of time. Don’t let just anyone work on your home or business’ AC. Trust the professional team at Advantage Heating and Cooling when you need air conditioning repair in Vancouver, WA.